I have been on a pretty good reading kick lately.Â Just finished the book, Beyond the Soiled Curtain by David and Beth Grant.Â This book provides a glimpse of Falkland Road in Bombay, and reveals the atrocity of human trafficking and what organizations like Project Rescue (http://www.projectrescue.com/) are doing to combat it.
A few stats from the book regarding those sold into the sex-slave industry….
– Some are sold into a life of prostitution by their families for as little as $150.
– The average age of someone sold into prostitution is 13.
– 1 million children each year are exploited in the global commercial sex trade.
– 50% of all trafficking victims worldwide are children.
– 2.3 million girls and women work as prostitutes and madams in India alone.
– 400 million in revenue is generated each year by Bombay’s red light district.
I could go on, but I won’t.Â I encourage you to check out the book.Â It is an easy read in the sense that it is not dense reading, but in the sense you will come face-to-face with the ugly side of the world we live in, it is a very difficult book to take in.
On a related note, I was also introduced to another organization combating human trafficking, focusing on those in Greece.Â You can check them out at http://www.thea21campaign.org/.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.